Sugar Glider Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Picture courtesy of April)

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wild babies!!!!! eeek

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Christi

Wild babies!!!!! eeek Empty
PostSubject: Wild babies!!!!! eeek   Wild babies!!!!! eeek I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Hello all!

Ok, so about 3 months ago i "rescued" 2 little girls from a mill breeder (not known to me at the time), and I am still in the bonding process. When I got them they were around 8 weeks old and completely unhandled, so as you can imagine as a first time owner I have quite a long road ahead of me. I love them very much of course and I am willing to go the extra mile to tame them and get them bonded appropriately.... but I feel I'm at a road block.

They're still crabing quite a bit at me everytime I take them out, the one is still very timid/agressive towards me. I have been very patient and of course I will continue to be patient, but I feel like we've stopped progressing in the process. I can still only take the one out and hold her to my shirt or on my hand for like 1/2 a second before she becomes afraid and tries to crawl back into my lap back in her nest (one of my t-shirts i change out every couple of days). I've tried giving them treats while having them in my lap or when they are in the cage and they take that well, but beyond that they are like "oh forget you!"..... any tips? confused
Back to top Go down
EzzieM

EzzieM

PostSubject: Re: Wild babies!!!!! eeek   Wild babies!!!!! eeek I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 pm

I know! it's so tough at this part!
Do you have a bonding pouch yet? If so, you can try carrying them around in that during the day (if you're not already). Just make sure that you have a way for them to get food or water when they need it.
and another suggestion, wherever you spend bonding time (whether it be a bathroom or a tent, or wherever else) only give them treats when they come to you. The idea behind this is that they're learning that YOU represent GOOD things. If you go to them with treats, they learn that they don't have to "give' to "get". They figure "Well, she's going to give me a treat anyway, what else do I need you for?" So when they get their treats, they're done and can go about their business. Be careful to go at their pace though, you don't want to FORCE them to do anything because then you're gaining a negative association. Bonding can take a VERY long time in some cases, and the absolute biggest thing you can remember is to be patient Smile.

Good luck! It will happen Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stytchez-by-design.webs.com
Almi

Almi

PostSubject: Re: Wild babies!!!!! eeek   Wild babies!!!!! eeek I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 12:55 pm

I agree, be patient. I usually give my more timid animals all the time in the world to come around, and, surprisingly, most of them just come around on their own without any pushing from me. My suggies will come up to me and climb out on my arm, they don't run away when I poke them through the cage or talk in their face or anything. I've never had to do anything to get them like that except feed them, not scare them, and give them space when they run away. I think just the fact that I was never overbearing on them helped them be unafraid of me, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: I agree   Wild babies!!!!! eeek I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:44 pm

I also employ the same tatics as Almi does - the non-pushing approach to the situation - i just feed treats through the bars of the cage - feed them - once in awhile carry them around in the bonding pouch - when I have them out just let them do what they want to do and dont move quickly or try to make them stay anywhere or anything and mine have all come around - except one - ha ha Mokey is still crabby but it ain't over til its over - ha ha - I think each glider has its own trust time-line and if you try to push them alot of times it will blow up in your face!

Slow and easy - it can be hard to be patient but trust me the patience pays off eventually - just takes time
Back to top Go down
http://suggiebabies.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild babies!!!!! eeek   Wild babies!!!!! eeek I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wild babies!!!!! eeek
Page 1 of 1