Sugar Glider Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Picture courtesy of April)

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails

Go down 
+4
Chelsea0525
Admin
clollestad
Ginger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger

Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails Empty
PostSubject: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this so if I have it under the wrong post please move it for me.

I am having a very hard time trimming my gliders nails! I have tried the wheel with the special paper or what ever it's called so when they use the wheel it helps with the nails. Not with mine!
Then I tried the pouch that is net so the nails stick through, nope, I tried covering them but that didn't work either. Rolling Eyes Do you take your to the vet to have them cut them? Do they have sugar glider downers that you can use to help mellow them out so you can cut there nails? Smile
Back to top Go down
clollestad

clollestad

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi there Ginger
I found this link that could be helpful for you.
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nailtrimming.htm
Sorry, don't know of any Suggie Downers! lol! It can be so hard to trim nails. In the wild they just get worn on tree trunks and what not.
Hope this helps!!
Lisa
Back to top Go down
http://suggiesupplies.webs.com/
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: ugh cutting nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 6:12 pm

I hate trying to cut the gliders nails it is so hard and they HATE IT!! so I hear you there - I use the wodent wheels with trim tracks too

yeah depending on how many gliders you have it may not be a bad idea to just have a vet do it, I am interested to know what other tips are out there as well from some of our more experienced glider owners - maybe there is some great secret Im not aware of yet - I am always so scared I am going to hurt them -
I guess I have heard that baby nail clippers are a little easier to use and I think I have even heard of people using a nail file as well - but other than that Im stumped too! scratch
Back to top Go down
http://suggiebabies.webs.com
Chelsea0525

Chelsea0525

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:44 pm

If you can't do it yourself, the vet will do it. Mine charges a certain price if he can do it without sedating them (not sure if that's spelled right). If he has to sedate them he charges more. I wouldn't give my suggies downers even if they existed. I'd leave it to the professionals. I usually just keep handing mealies or yoggie to distract them and they let me do whatever I need to do. Suz has good tips on her site!
Back to top Go down
OneMdl

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Marcell needs trimming almost every time I pull him out his nails grow so fast. And he hates being trimmed so much he really tries to bite! I think it because he doesn't use the wheel as much as the other gliders and thats where the trim track is.
Back to top Go down
acam0625

PostSubject: Cutting Rainys Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Ginger, I cut my gliders nails all the time, sometimes it can be difficult, but I have found a few tricks that have worked well. I usually put her in one of her pouches from her cage and I do it while is is fairly sleepy or when she is not wide awake at her prime time. I rub her belly and she usually sticks one of her legs out. While she's happy from me rubbing her belly I gently take one of her feet and trim them with a regular nail cutter. If she starts to get fussy, I give her a piece of a pecan or walnut and she eats it. I rub her belly again and I am able to cut more of her nails. it helps if you fold the pouch over so your glider is closer to the entrance of the pouch. Like I said the belly rubbing has worked wonders for me...hope this helps you... Ashley
Back to top Go down
SeptemberAmbienTexas

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:05 pm

I cut my nails the same way. It takes me forever to get mine done, because it's easier if I don't try to rush it. And, if I don't get all the nails on that glider that day, then I don't worry about it. Take your time, if you get one this time, then you know how to do it next time. It gets easier with practice. Lots of treats are part of the trick, and the treats help with bonding.
Back to top Go down
Missourigal

Missourigal

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 am

Same problem here also. I have 16 gliders and so nail trimming takes me a long time. I use the Stealth wheel but it only works when the 400 grit sand paper is new..once they have used it several times, it seems to lose its grit..anyway, I use a bonding pouch and I zip it shut so that just a small hole is open and I go for one leg at a time..I do this when they are sleepy..helps a lot..I use the small fingernail clippers..but I have tried everything and I have found that the bonding pouch with the zipper and the mesh for breathing, works the best. I watched a video on the Internet one time when I got my first pair of gliders and that helped me allot..

Good luck...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails   Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cutting Sugar Gliders Nails
Page 1 of 1